Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The purpose

The discussions for the this class has been about the church and its involvement with the new digital age and this new phenomenon of the virtual world, social network.  I believe in the beginning of this class we were split between those believed it was good and those who thought it can potentially be damaging or being cautious. I was one who believed it would be damaging and I believed for good reason.  I have since been convinced otherwise.  I am not totally sold on all aspects of the virtual world but I do think that the church should be actively engaged and have a virtual presence. The virtual presence can be represented in many ways and it is not limited to websites and facebook or twitter.  When I look at some ways that some churches and individual ministers utilize the social networks it is just that social and very self serving.  It would seem to me that it is almost a cover up so that they can have a reason to be on their 24/7 (old school), I have no idea what the new word is on the street for 24/7.  The point I am proposing is a point that was brought up in one of our readings a few weeks ago.  The author wrote that when the coal miners were trapped in the mines in Columbia, many comments were made and people responded some prayed and some asked for prayer. The author continued to write when she checked the christian websites nothing was mentioned, instead it was social.

These past few months we have seen and have heard about: mudslides, earthquakes, flight missing, ferry sank, Russia in the Ukraine and much more.  The church: social events and promotion of their services, and some cases the response was limited. I know I am generalizing but why is the social networks or virtual world not buzzing with our input?  Why are we not a part of the conversation? are we not the salt and light of this world?  The virtual world has given the church a more global presence not just local. I ask you check these websites or facebook pages, and twitter see, listen what the spirit is saying to the churches.  Take a look at the comments posted on these articles, I have read some of the comments written on these news articles online and it does not look like our voices are represented. I know this is a indictment against myself because I was silent.   Maybe I am looking in all the wrong places but If what I am observing is true, remind me again Theological grounding for the virtual church what is our purpose?

9 comments:

  1. I think the question for me is, how would I conduct myself as a pastor in commenting on these issues? This may just be my cynical point of view, but if I say I'm a pastor or quote a scripture then my credibility will automatically be demolished. But, if I act like a rational being (because to majority of people in this country religious and rational do not go together), then my credibility is still upheld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought is walking with people through these troubled times a sound voice of reason. life and death is in the power of our words or like the psalmist put it my words are like that of a skillful writer. It is not about credibility but availability.

      Delete
  2. I often wrestle with how to deal with social issues. I do believe that some of us have been called to reach out to those and some of us haven't I believe God has called us all to be salt but my question is can we be salt of specific things and to specific groups? Good thought though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sipho I disagree respectfully we have all been called we have the spirit of the lord that lead us into all truth and righteousness. We need to weight our words and to be thoughtful. I do not believe this is a specific ministry.

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! Its great to see the change of heart and have some agreement on the subject. Do you think it is because everyone thinks that everyone else has already done it? Church's don't feel the need to jump in because so much of the media has already covered it? Maybe its time for you to create the change!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right but I do not think that is reason good reason. You are right are you ready to join me to start this move?

      Delete
  4. How will you bring the church / congregation along with you on this journey? How will you share your journey with your family of faith?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First having conversation in the church body walking through these scenarios together giving them a voice in a safe space so they can be a voice virtually. I would also engage Church family online over topics.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this!!! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete