Tuesday, April 29, 2014

WHO am I

I was contemplating what I should write when my son entered the room with the news that the NBA commissioner Adam Silver banned Donald Sterling for life from the NBA.  Mr Silver also stated that he was going to force Mr Sterling to sell his team, the Clippers. I then thought I will write my blog on this controversy.

I heard the news about the recording of Mr Sterling in which he made some derogatory comments about African Americans.  What year is this am I dreaming?  I am one of the naive.  I did not know these type of conversation is plausibly. I listened to the recording with dismay.  How would I response if I was one of these players?  I know how I felt when I heard about some of the incidents that took place here on campus, shocked, surprised, and confused.  Some of those who were interviewed were not surprise, others was still trying to wrap there mind around the issue.  One former player even stated that most sporting franchise is just a modern day type of slavery.  I asked one student here on campus what they thought about the incident of which I am not going to make reference to his race, he stated and I quote " I think what he said was despicable but he has freedom of speech so no matter how harsh the words he has the right to say it."  I started to wonder how many people feel like their are suppressed black or white. I am realizing it is not over.

I am a firm believer in having dialogue without dialogue there is no voice.  I am seeing that there is a system of hatred and intimidation.  I am one who believe virtual communities are a great place to have these conversations, why? I am glad you asked. The environment is more controlled and our feelings is less readily communicated and we are more readily want to express ourselves online.  We need to have these conversations.  What are the hidden thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. The beauty of the internet is that it can be a place to suppress these dialogues and to delve further into your own beliefs, or it can be a place to have the dialogues and grow personally. Unfortunately we can't make everyone join the latter group, some will still want to take part in the former group. How do you respectfully try to reach those in the former group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we should show ourselves friendly leave the line of communication open and they will open up to some form of conversation.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your blogs my friend. Continue to do great things. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment God Bless.

    ReplyDelete