Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My experience

It was March 5 I saw an assignment post for our Virtual Church class.  I promotely started to watch what our new assignment was going to be then those dreaded words came out of Dr Watkins mouth. We are going to post a video on google hangout and then on Youtube. I replayed the video several times to make sure. Yes, he did say it we must post a video on Youtube.  I thought I was in over my head, but now I know I am in over my head. Its no longer a thought it is a reality. What am I going to do?  I know! Just calm down go pray, sleep, and it will all go away, good idea.  I went to sleep but it did not go away, the assignment was still there and so was the anxiety. Okay one step at a time, first what do I need to do?  let me read the instructions.  The instructions stated I need to watch the how to video which I then did.  The instructions was straight forward. Then, Read the chapter on community see what I like and what I do not like about the chapter, I can do that did that.  Next step get a camera and a microphone, I remember having a conversation with Professor Watkins if you need any help with cameras contact Jeff Vaughn. First thing monday morning I went to Jeff's office asked him he said "sure Eton I will lend you one you can use," he gave me the camera then I politely ask him for the microphone he said the one device does both, wow!  I went to the computer lab and setup.  I did what they said for me to do on the youtube tutorial, and also got some headphones like what the professor said.  Then, I proceeded to wait for hannah's call while I waited I started to do some reading. Then, there was this annoying sound it was the call I stumbled and fumbled to get the screen back up and bingo I was on a video hangout and on youtube, WOW! If you would have told me this 2 months ago that I would be doing this I probably would not have thought it possible but I am.
We are in the seventh week of the course and I am blogging, tweeting, texting, hanging out in google, and now Youtube video. I am now official I am a Social netwrking Guru. In other words I am sns, not f2f Omg so lol.  This is My experience.

7 comments:

  1. Eton it was a pleasure having that experience with you. I had a lot of anxiety about it myself- trying to figure out how to get it posted and working and wondering if the interaction with you would be awkward since we've never met in person! It was really great though. Do you have any challenges for yourself now that you've completed this task? Is there anything specific that you'd like to learn how to do or be apart of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I donot have any challenges that I can think of but I am enjoying the journey.OH yes there is a lot I would like to learn to do but this is a start.

      Delete
  2. I like how compared to the beginning of this class you can see how much more comfortable you are becoming as an online presence. Do you see yourself continuing any of these practices once the class is over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see myself incorporating most if not all what I am learning now. Not only is it fun but also the reaching out and having a presence in the conversation in the cyber world or like Hannah likes to call it the triverse.

      Delete
  3. We have to continue to step up to the plate and it is step by step. How will you continue expand and integrate this into your ministry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will continue to expand by merely completing this class and also as we know this technology is constatly changing and there is always something new to learn and being more effective. Integrating this into ministry is I believe the easy part. I believe the hard part Is being willing to do it. From the experience that I have with this class it was not the challenge that was hard it was changing my mind set. Altering my mind or the way I think or better rewiring the way I approach new technology was the challenge. I believe that is partially over with still some issues but with time and conversations.

      Delete
  4. Well thats really great that you were able to figure it out. It was a process for me and my group as well. How do you think this would play out with your church members if we went virtual?

    ReplyDelete