Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Community

I decided to read through some of my colleagues blogs to get the juices going.  I read sylvia's blog on 'becoming'. Dr Watkin's then post a comment and one of the question that was asked of her, What is community?  I thought that was interesting.  I have never gave any thought to what is community, so what is community? The definition I found on google: A group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common. Another definition is a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals. 
These past two weeks I was so burdened as news was being posted as to the condition of one of our brothers whose wife who was at death's door. CTS had one common attitude, pain, as we felt our brother's hurt. We had one common interest to see God intervene and heal our brother's wife from her sickness, and we had one common goal to pray and cryout to the Lord in sack cloth and ashes, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray , and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.15 Now mine eyes shall be open , and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place." I saw the definition of community being acted out. I saw the definition of community embodied.  I saw a feeling of fellowship and sharing. We were of one voice and there was a true sense of love and caring.  Therefore, you cannot call yourself a community just by labeling yourself a community.  It is something that has to be embodied, acted out, and intentional.  A community has to have all things in common, like the tower of babel, "And the LORD said , Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do : and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."  I wonder are we all speaking the same language are we all believing the same thing we came together as one and we saw a miracle take place right in our midst as she is recovering and the words being used to describe her recovery is a miracle. 
My definition of community is having all things in common, speaking the same language and being intentional, in other words united.

2 comments:

  1. Do communities have to have ALL things in common, like you suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do communities have to be intentional? Did the earliest people groups INTEND to live together? Or did it happen by convenience? In the same way, do people online intend to gather? Or does it happen simply because they have the same interests?

    ReplyDelete