The environment that is being set in our google community is becoming more thought provoking. I for one is more open to change because of this community. I am now think of what more can we do to facilitate even more engaging and thought provoking dialoge or what can I do to help, equip myself in this dialoge of change? We have to get to a place where we do not see those lines of demarcation, remove those stumbling blocs so that we can see the horizon of can be rather than what is. Dr Watkins said "we be must engaged in these conversations," and engaging in these type of conversations we must not be ignorant of this virtual world. The good and the bad still exist, to use a less politically correct term sin, and I believe part of this conversation should engage the spiritual aspect of the virtual world theologically. Now what does this mean or even look like? or is there even such a thing as the spiritual side of the virtual world is it just the blurring of the lines of the real and the virtual because the virtual is real and the real encapsulate the virtual.
I think as seminary trained and Mdiv wheeling future leaders of the new virtually reformed church, We must walk with an assurance of the spiritual dimension that can be discussed and should be dicussed in our conversations in this virtaul world. Leaders let us lead in this endeavour we are not there to preach or teach but to inform and engage in the conversation. I know that one of the many things I need to do is to become intentional and purposeful in listening and discerning people and there needs because there are many voices that are being heard let our voice be one of them. The virtual is not only to help better communicate among ourselves which would limit the use of the virtual world and put us back in the four walls of the church. Instead, we have gain access to people, time, and places we were once unable to reach, and we are now open to an array of needs and hurt that can only be met by the spiritual.
If we're to engage in the conversation do we need to change how we talk or normally converse? Being apart of the community often means sharing the same language and I wonder if sentences like "I think as seminary trained and Mdiv wheeling future leaders of the new virtually reformed church" might be problematic. ARE we future leaders of the virtually reformed church? I am not so sure. Perhaps we are trying to be. Either way, my real question remains- if we don't sound like the digital revolution, look like the digital revolution or move like the digital revolution are we really leaders of the digital revolution?
ReplyDeleteHannah why would you say that? do you not see your self as future leader in this new post inventive and innovative world. Why would you consider that statement problematic. This is the reason why we are having these conversations so we can bridge the gap between how we respond digitally and being equipped so that we can become leaders.
DeleteEton, are you saying that we should be using technology to reach and grow relationships with people, or not? Because at one point in your post you asked if there even was a spiritual side to the virtual, which I don't think you really answered, and then at the end you said that many needs and hurts of people can only be met by the spiritual. This is just for clarification, I guess.
ReplyDeleteYes I think we should use technology to reach and grow in relationship with people, but not only that I think as spiritual leaders we have the responsibility to also bring the spiritual dimension into these conversations when ever possible. In the dresher reading she gave the example of the men who were trapped in the mine and many people prayed but the spiritual elite was not apart of the conversation, why? They were having conversation about what was important to them, there own individual ministry.
Delete